Student Terms and conditions
Terms and Conditions – Ashdown Academy Ltd (The Event Academy)
The Event Academy is the trading name of Ashdown Academy Ltd and these terms and conditions apply to all courses and services offered and may be subject to change without notice.
Booking a Course
- For current course costs and dates, please refer to our website www.eventacademy.com
- If a course registration/booking form is completed by an individual other than the named student, it is the responsibility of the individual/employer to ensure the student is suitable for the course and has the relevant qualifications and experience
- Acceptance of a booking brings into existence a legally binding contract between The Event Academy and a student on these terms and conditions
- Any term sought to be imposed by a student will not form part of the contract
All payments must be made in sterling (£) in one of three ways:
- Via the website
- Bank transfer (please ask for details)
- Cheque mailed to The Event Academy made out to: Ashdown Academy Ltd
All courses are conducted in English and all students must be able to read, write and speak English.
In accordance with our accrediting body, the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), we have recommended levels of learning for each of our courses and this can be discussed with our admissions team.
If English is NOT a student’s first language, they must prove their ability to communicate both orally and in their written work by:
- An online or live meeting
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least band 6 (Competent User)
Students from outside EU/EEA
Students from outside the EU/EAA are responsible for ensuring that they are eligible to study in the UK and on our courses.
Information can be found at the UK Government website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration
Course Accommodation and Travel
- Organising and financing accommodation and travel are the responsibility of the student unless specifically offered as part of the course.
- The Event Academy certificate, diploma and postgraduate courses are accredited by the Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM).
- Course certificates are provided via an online certification portal. A link to this portal will be emailed to the student after they have received grading from the CIM (up to 12 weeks after the end of a course).
Course Cancellation, Refunds and Amendments
- Cancellation or postponement charges will apply subject to the stated details below
- The student is responsible for the payment of any fees incurred by banks or money transfer companies
- Any refunds required in currency other than GBP sterling will be converted at the exchange rates provided by HSBC on the day of the transfer
- All requests for cancellations and/or transfers to a different course must be received in writing or by email and acknowledged by The Event Academy via email
Live course cancellation or postponement to a later course
If you wish to cancel or postpone your course, the following charges will apply:
|Notice prior to start of course||Cancellation||Transfer to alternative course/date|
|30 calendar days or more||Full refund less 20% of fees||£100|
|Less than 30 calendar days||100% fee due||50% of fee|
|Failure to attend||100% fee due||N/A|
Degree Alternative – The same cancellation and postponement rules apply for each of the courses that comprise the DA course. However, once the Degree Alternative mentor programme has been paid, no refund for this element can be offered.
Online Course Cancellation or postponement to a later course
The online course fee allows the student access to their course for the following period:
- Foundation and Diploma: One calendar year to complete their course and their assessments
- Requests for an extension beyond 12 months must be received by The Event Academy in the form of a letter or email prior to the course being closed. A fee of £120 will be applied for a 6 month course extention
- A fee of £50 is due for any change to an agreed examination date
- Postgraduate: For the duration of their course (Circa 18 months)
Additional Changes and Cancellation Terms
- In the event of a student named on the booking form not being able to attend their course, The Event Academy will accept a substitute student, on the condition that written notification of the substitution has been received prior to the start of the course and the substitute student meets all the criteria required for the course. An administration fee of £175.00 + VAT will be charged
- The Event Academy reserves the right to remove any student from its courses should their behaviour be deemed to be inappropriate or bring The Event Academy (Ashdown Academy) into disrepute. In such event, no refund of course fees or other costs shall be made
- In the event of there being insufficient numbers booked onto a live course or the course venues being unavailable, for whatever reason, The Event Academy reserves the right to cancel or postpone the course
- In the event of cancellation of a course by The Event Academy, The Event Academy will endeavour to inform all students at least a week before the course is due to start. All course fees paid will be reimbursed in full. The Event Academy shall not accept liability for any consequential loss and shall have no liability to reimburse any other costs that may have been incurred, including transport costs, accommodation etc.
Late or Non-payment
If any amount, properly due to The Event Academy under or in connection with these terms and conditions remains outstanding beyond the due date The Event Academy may:
- Charge interest on the overdue amount at the rate of 12% per annum above the Bank of England base rate (which interest will accrue daily until the date of actual payment, be compounded quarterly, and be payable on demand) or claim interest and statutory compensation pursuant to the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998)
- Remove the student or individual from the course
|You Can Expect Us To||We Can Expect You To|
|Provide you with the tuition and learning support associated with the course with reasonable care and skill||Take responsibility for your own learning, working in partnership with staff to become a self-reliant, independent learner|
|Make reasonable efforts to deliver the course as described in the relevant prospectus||Not hinder the studies of others and pursue your studies diligently, contributing effectively to the course on which you are enrolled|
|Inform you as soon as possible if we need to alter anything related to the course such as a change in timetabling, location, assessment or schedule||Attend all classes and learning events associated with the course, subject to absence for medical or other agreed reasons|
|Provide clear information about the course and our expectations of what you need to achieve to complete the course successfully||Take reasonable care to ensure that the personal details the Academy holds about you, including your current term-time address and personal email address, are accurate and updated as soon as they change. This will help us to contact you quickly as and when needed|
|Return marked work in a timely manner by the deadlines stated by us||Complete and submit, by the required deadlines, any work to be assessed as part of the course|
|Encourage a responsible learning environment in the subject in which, as a student, you are integrated and suitably support you academically||Respond to requests to give you feedback about your learning and other experiences at the Academy|
|Take reasonable care to keep your personal details secure at all times||To conduct all course activity in a legal manner and avoid offensive or inappropriate language or behavior in the classroom that could impact on any other user|
|Act in a non-discriminatory way and to comply with statutory national legislation such as the Disability Discrimination Act and other similar acts|
|Act in a non-discriminatory way and to comply with statutory national legislation such as the Disability Discrimination Act and other similar acts||Make sure any course fees and other expenses relating to your course are paid in time and agree to be bound by our regulations on the payment of fees, refunds in the event of termination of your studies and the consequences of non-payment|
|Inform you via email as soon as possible if we need to alter anything related to the course material or make changes to the training site that may affect accessibility||Attend your exam on the day booked|
|Take reasonable care to keep your personal details secure at all times||Keep your personal details up to date (address, email etc.) This will help us to contact you quickly as and when needed|
|Act in a non-discriminatory way and to comply with statutory national legislation such as the Disability Discrimination Act and other similar acts||To conduct all online activity in a legal manner and avoid offensive or inappropriate language or behavior, that could impact on any other userOnline Course provisions and exams|
The Event Academy shall not be liable for the refund of fees or for any other penalty should courses be cancelled due to war, fire, strike lock-out, industrial action, tempest, accident, civil disturbance or any other cause whatsoever beyond their control.
All materials provided by The Event Academy, staff and lecturers of The Event Academy remain the intellectual property of The Event Academy, who assert their right to worldwide copyright and all related rights unless specifically agreed otherwise in writing.
The Event Academy does not sell, trade or rent your personal information to other organisations. However, we may pass your details to our associated company, The Event Talent Agency and contact you with additional information regarding our courses and services.
Photography & Film
We may photograph or film lecturers and students for marketing purposes. These images may be used on our website, social media or in printed materials. They will never be sold or given to third parties.
These terms and conditions cannot be varied without the written agreement of the Ashdown Academy Directors.
If any part of these Terms and Conditions is found to be unenforceable as a matter of law, the enforceability of any other part of these terms and conditions will not be affected. The Event Academy reserves the right at any time to make changes to Terms and Conditions and you shall be subject to the terms and conditions in force at the time you study with us.
These terms and conditions are in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer, which remain unaffected.
Contracts formed between The Event Academy and you shall be governed in all respects, by English law and you hereby submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.